Source: CNNIC Date: March 30, 2010 09:47 A.M.
1. On January 5, 2009, a teleconference was held in Beijing by seven ministries or commissions including State Council Information Office, Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Ministry of Public Security, Ministry of Culture, State Administration for Industry and Commence, State Administration of Radio, Film and Television and General Administration of Press and Publication of the People’s Republic of China with the aim of performing special actions on governance of vulgarity on the internet within the whole country.
2. On January 6th, 2009, the first Cultural Festival of China Net Citizens, hosted by China Internet Association, was officially initiated. It covers fields of technology, sports, fashion, culture, animation, etc. concerning internet. At this conference, the date of September 14th was elected to be Net Citizen Festival.
3. On January 7th, 2009, Ministry of Industry and Information issued three licenses of the third mobile communications (3G) to China Mobile Communications Corporation, China Telecommunications Corporation and China Unicom Network Communications Co., Ltd.
4. On February 28th, 2009, Premier Wen Jiabao of the State Council exchanged with net citizens and accepted special visit from both Central People’s Government website and Xinhua website before the holding of the 2nd Session of the 11th National People’s Congress and the 2nd Session of the 11th National Political Consultative Conference.
5. On May 19th, 2009, Ministry of Industry and Information issued Notice to Preassembly of Filtering Software for Safe Surfing on the Computer.
6. From 9:00 P.M., May 19th, 2009, the domain name resolution system of baofeng.com experienced network attack and failure. It caused recursive domain name resolution server of telecommunication enterprises to receive a lot of abnormal request and result in blockage, then services provided for six provinces including Jiangsu, Anhui, Guangxi, Hainan, Gansu and Zhejiang are affected. At 1:20 A.M., May 20th, internet services of the affected regions basically returned to normal.
7. On July 26th, 2009, Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Commerce jointly issued notice about Virtual Currency Transaction Management of Network, which regulated that the same enterprise shall not manage the issuing and transaction of virtual currency at the same time and the virtual currency shall not be used to purchase real objects.
8. On August 7th, 2009, Premier Wen Jiabao of the State Council inspected Wuxi Micro-nano and Sensing Engineering Technology Research and Development Center and put up with the proposal of building China Sensing Information Center (“Sensing China” Center) as soon as possible. On November 3rd, Premier Wen Jiabao delivered a speech titled with Make Technology Lead China in Sustainable Development and instructed that breakthrough shall be made especially on key technologies of sensing network and internet of things.
9. Since the second half year of 2009, web portal including Sina.com, Sohu.com, Netease, People.com have initiated or tested micro-blog function. The micro blog has attracted public figures, entertainment stars, enterprise institutions and a lot of net citizens to join in, which became one of the hot internet applications in 2009.
10. On August 18th, 2009, Ministry of Culture issued Notice to Enhancement and Improvement of Web Music Examination, which regulated that the operational units shall report to Ministry of Culture for examination or records of information if they wish to operate on web music products.
11. On August 26th, 2009, the 28th Asia Pacific Network Information Center (APNIC) Open Policy Meeting, which was hosted by China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC), was held in Beijing. It was the first time for APNIC meeting to be held in China Mainland.
12. On September 7th, the State Commission Office for Public Sector Reform issued State Commission Office for Public Sector Reform’s Interpretation of Part of Articles about Comprehensive Law Enforcement on Animation, Web Games and Cultural Market in ‘Provisions on Agreeing to a Plan after Discussing Three Times’ issued by Ministry of Culture, State Administration of Radio, Film and Television and General Administration of Press and Publication , which said, “Ministry of Culture shall be responsible for industry planning, industry base, project construction, exhibition transaction and market supervision relating to animation and web games. State Administration of Radio, Film and Television shall be responsible for management of animation programs in movie animation as well as web audio and video. General Administration of Press and Publication shall be responsible for management of animation in the publication stage and carry out pre-examination on online publication and issuing of publications about games. ”
13. On September 8th, 2009, Tecent Company owned market value of more than 30 billion dollars and became the third largest internet company in the globe.
14. On November 16th, 2009, Office of the National Campaign on Anti-prostitution and Anti-delinquency issued Emergency Notice to Strict Attack on Mobile Website Production and Spreading of Obscene and Pornographic Information. In December, nine ministries or commissions including International Communication Office of the CPC, Office of the National Campaign on Anti-prostitution and Anti-delinquency, Ministry of Industry and Information, Ministry of Public Security, Ministry of Culture, State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council jointly carried out special actions on deep governance of obscene, pornographic and vulgar information on the internet and mobile media within the whole country.
15. At the beginning of December, 2009, State Administration of Radio, Film and Television shut down more than 530 BT (BitTorrent) websites including BT China in the clearance and rectification of websites with illegal and violating programs.
16. On December 26th, 2009, the 12th Session of the 11th National People’s Congress, Standing Committee Conference passed, by voting, Tort Law of the People’s Republic of China (executed as of July 1st, 2010), which regulated for the first time on network right infringement problems and their disposal principles.
17. In 2009, the public supervision value of the internet became widely known. A series of incidents such as “Hide and Seek”, “Deng Yujiao”, “Cigarette with outrageous value”, “entrapment” became the top issue of the public because of network exposure.
18. Until December 31st, 2009, it is shown according to the statistical data of China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC), the net citizens in China has reached 384 million; the popularity of internet reached 28.9%; net citizens of wide band reached 346 million; users of web shopping reached 108 million and transaction of web shopping market reached 25 million yuan; mobile net citizens reached 233 million, with 120 million added in a year. There are 232 million IPv4 addresses, with 16.82 million domain names. There includes 13.46 million domain names and 3.23 million websites. And International band width has reached 866,367Mbps.
Chronicle of Events of China Internet Development
In order to make a detailed record of the development process for China Internet, CNNIC edited and published chronicle of events for the first time in 1999. After the publication of chronicle of events, it was widely quoted by official departments, scientific research institutions, professionals and press media and was translated into words of several countries. It has become a valuable documentary to study China’s early internet development. In order to make recording of chronicle of events continue, CNNIC will make supplementary and modification on it year by year from now on.
Chronicle of Events selects events that have produced an extensive and profound impact in all industries and the whole society during the development of China internet. The editing and writing, not only the job of CNNIC, requires joint efforts of the whole society. Meanwhile, it is a process to make gradual modification and perfection. We sincerely wish readers and experts of all fields to put up with ideas and proposal on our Chronicle of Events so to enable us to make timely modification and supplementary. Our email for idea collection is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement: the copyright of Chronicle of Events of China Internet Development is reserved by China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC). Please specify source if any unit or individual wish to reprint, quote and publish.
At 4:11:24 Geneva Time (or 11:11:24 Beijing Time), August 25th, Wu Weimin, working in Institute of High Energy Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, logged on the account of Wang Shuqin on the Machine VXCRNA in CERN, Geneva through satellite linkage on a IBM-PC plane in Beijing Institute 710 and sent an email to Steinberger in Geneva.